LURN will work to strengthen the position of respiratory research by:
- being a forum for knowledge exchange in the field of respiratory diseases
- promoting the interest of lung research locally and nationally
- working to enable young researchers to work in a translational environment between basal medicine and clinical research
- enabling lung medical research results being communicated to the public
- contributing to a stimulating collaboration between colleagues and the pharmaceutical industry.
LURN is a network
LURN was officially started in May 2003 and was constituted as an association in March 2010. It was then agreed on that LURN will work with three major tasks for the students:
- Collaborations on research programmes
- Coaching of PhD students
- Spreading the word about respiratory research to undergraduate students.
Membership is active as it is the members who, with their own experience, participate in knowledge sharing in the association, which promotes the association's activities. An application for membership is made in writing to an employee of the Swedish Health Care Region who works or has worked with airway research or other adjacent research area.
LURN represents both clinical and preclinical institutions and welcomes senior as well as junior scientists. So far, a dozen departments within the Medical Faculty of Lund University and two major companies have entered this network.
Next meeting will be April 16th -17th, 2020
The first LURN scientific meeting was held in October 2003 and in March 2019 the 16:th LURN conference was held at Ystad Saltsjöbad.
LURN annual retreat is a 2-day gathering of researchers interested in all types of pulmonary diseases. Both clinicians and pre-clinical scientists attend, in addition to employees of the pharmaceutical industry. The program includes plenty of time for discussions and questions.
Information from previous meetings can be found under “Previous meetings”.